Q: Do you file a independent action in equity the same as a regular claim?

I know it should be the last resort and is frowned upon but it’s in place for a reason!

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, an independent action in equity is not filed in the same manner as a regular claim. Independent actions in equity are separate from the original case and are considered a last resort when no other remedies are available.

To file an independent action in equity, you typically need to:

1. File a new complaint in the appropriate court, stating the grounds for relief and the specific equitable remedy you seek.

2. Serve the complaint on the opposing party or parties.

3. Proceed with the case as a separate action from the original case.

Keep in mind that independent actions in equity are subject to strict requirements and limitations:

1. They are only available in rare circumstances where there is no adequate remedy at law.

2. They must be based on extrinsic fraud, mistake, or other grounds that prevented a party from presenting their case in the original action.

3. They are subject to equitable defenses, such as laches (unreasonable delay) and unclean hands (misconduct by the party seeking relief).

It is highly recommended to consult with an experienced attorney before pursuing an independent action in equity, as these actions are complex and have specific legal requirements that must be met.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.