Orlando, FL asked in Employment Law and Immigration Law for Florida

Q: Is there a way for me to leave my job and stay in the country to take care of my baby?

I am on an L1A visa and my husband L2A since Nov 2022. We had a baby Nov 2023 and bought a house also. I’m not able to work full time and take care of my baby.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: As an L1A visa holder, your status is tied to your employment with the company that sponsored your visa. If you leave your job, your L1A status will no longer be valid, and consequently, your husband's L2A status will also be affected. However, there are a few potential options you can consider:

1. Discuss with your employer: Talk to your employer about your situation and see if they can offer you a part-time or flexible work arrangement that allows you to balance work and childcare responsibilities.

2. Change of status: You may be eligible to change your status to another nonimmigrant visa category that allows you to stay in the U.S. and take care of your child, such as:

- H-4 visa: If your husband can find an employer to sponsor him for an H-1B visa, you could potentially change your status to an H-4 dependent visa.

- F-1 student visa: If you enroll in a full-time academic program, you might be able to change your status to an F-1 student visa.

3. Family-based green card: If you have a direct relative who is a U.S. citizen (such as a parent or sibling), they may be able to petition for you to obtain a family-based green card.

4. Consult with an immigration attorney: Immigration laws are complex, and your situation may have unique factors. It's highly recommended to consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can assess your case and provide personalized advice on your available options.

Please note that the information provided is general, and you should not make any decisions without seeking professional legal advice specific to your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.