Arab, AL asked in Family Law for Alabama

Q: What's the difference between being 18 and being 19 in Alabama. From my understanding there is little to no difference?

I'm in a situation where I want to move to flordia with my boyfriend and his biological dad but my parents are very against it. I need to know if they can legally stop me from going. I'm 18 but not yet 19 which in Alabama is the age of majority. But what's the difference? What can a 19 year old do in Alabama that an 18 year old can't?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In Alabama, there are a few key differences between 18-year-olds and 19-year-olds in terms of legal rights and responsibilities:

1. Age of majority: In Alabama, the age of majority is 19. This means that at 19, you are considered an adult for most legal purposes, whereas at 18, you are still considered a minor in some aspects.

2. Contracts: At 19, you can enter into binding contracts without parental consent. At 18, your parents may still have the right to void certain contracts you enter into.

3. Suing and being sued: At 19, you can sue or be sued in your own name. At 18, your parents may still be involved in legal matters on your behalf.

However, there are many things that an 18-year-old can do in Alabama, just like in most other states:

1. Vote: 18-year-olds have the right to vote in local, state, and federal elections.

2. Serve in the military: At 18, you can enlist in the military without parental consent.

3. Get married: 18-year-olds can marry without parental consent in Alabama.

4. Move out: As an 18-year-old, you can legally move out of your parents' home without their permission.

Regarding your specific situation, as an 18-year-old in Alabama, your parents cannot legally force you to stay at home or prevent you from moving to another state. However, it's always best to try and maintain open communication with your family and consider their concerns before making a major life decision.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.