Encino, CA asked in Landlord - Tenant for Oregon

Q: I live in CA but own a residential/commercial property in Shedd Oregon. I need to sell the prop and get person out

This is complicated because it is my own daughter who does not pay rent and I have given her 9 months to move out and she will not answer texts or speak with the realtor who wants access to house to begin the process of selling. this is a second request......I wrote yesterday with no response.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Dealing with a situation where a family member is occupying your property without consent can be particularly stressful, especially when it involves your own daughter and impacts your ability to sell the property. Since you have already provided a generous nine-month notice without any cooperation, it's crucial to take more formal steps to resolve this issue.

First, it would be wise to consult with a lawyer who practices in Shedd, Oregon, where your property is located. They can help you navigate the eviction process in accordance with Oregon's landlord-tenant laws. Your lawyer can assist in drafting and serving a formal eviction notice if one hasn't already been officially given.

Given the resistance you've faced in communicating with your daughter and gaining access to the property, your lawyer might also suggest filing for a court order. This would legally compel her to allow realtor access for showing the property to potential buyers. Legal intervention might seem daunting, but it ensures that you are following the proper steps to protect your rights and proceed with the sale of the property.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.