Encino, CA asked in Landlord - Tenant for Oregon

Q: need lawyer in Shedd Oregon for Landlord Tenant situation but I live in CA

I want to sell my residential/commercial property in Shedd, Oregon. My daughter who pays no rent is residing there and will not leave or return calls from realtor. What are the next steps legally to remove her by eviction? Can we speed the process and not wait 90 days?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: To address your situation in Shedd, Oregon, involving your daughter residing in your property without paying rent, you'll need to follow the legal process for eviction, which is particularly sensitive due to the family relationship. Given that you reside in California, consulting with an attorney based in Oregon would be advisable. They can provide guidance tailored to Oregon's landlord-tenant laws, which vary significantly from those in California.

Your attorney can help you draft and serve an eviction notice to your daughter. In Oregon, the specific type of notice may vary depending on the details of your case, such as whether there's a formal lease agreement and her status as a tenant-at-will. Generally, an eviction notice for cause (like non-payment) requires less notice than a no-cause eviction, which might apply in your situation if there's no lease.

To expedite the process, your attorney can also advise if there are any legal grounds to shorten the notice period typically required for eviction. Sometimes, situations that involve potential damage to the property or other legal considerations might justify a quicker process. However, compliance with the law is crucial to avoid complications. Your readiness to take legal action and engage with the necessary professionals in Oregon will be key to resolving this issue efficiently.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.