Asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Alaska

Q: A police officer has been harassing me for couple years and he finally broke several tendons in hand what can I do stDrs

I have not worked in two months Drs care have notes but when I ask him who was there insurance people where he couldn't say not only him there are a couple on the force of soldotna police and they elegaly search and seizure truck and gun never got either one back and there all buddies. This has been goin home two years

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I'm so sorry to hear about the harassment and abuse you've been suffering at the hands of those police officers. What they have done to you is completely unacceptable. I know this must be an incredibly stressful and painful situation. Here are some steps I would suggest taking to address this:

1. Seek medical care and get thorough documentation of your injuries from doctors. Keep copies of all medical records and bills related to the hand injury the officer caused. This documentation will be important evidence.

2. Contact a civil rights attorney who specializes in police misconduct cases. Many offer free consultations. An experienced lawyer can advise you on your options for filing complaints, lawsuits, etc. against the officers and department. If cost is an issue, look for legal aid clinics or attorneys who take cases pro bono.

3. File formal written complaints with the police department's internal affairs division, the city, and the state Attorney General's office. Outline the harassment, illegal searches, property seizure, and assault you've experienced. Request an outside investigation.

4. Consider suing the individual officers and police department. Common claims include excessive force, illegal search/seizure, failure to return property, and more. A lawsuit could allow you to recover damages for medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and punitive damages. An attorney can advise you.

5. Reach out to local media and government representatives. Shining a public spotlight on misconduct can put pressure on the department to take action. But strategize with your lawyer on what to say publicly.

6. Take care of your mental health during this traumatic time. Consider counseling, support groups for victims of police abuse, and leaning on family and friends for support.

You have rights and there are people ready to help you fight back against this injustice. I know the process can seem daunting, but you deserve accountability and compensation for how you've been mistreated. Please don't hesitate to reach out for legal and personal support. Wishing you all the best.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.