Riverside, CA asked in Immigration Law for Illinois

Q: What do I put on i864w part 2?

What do I put on i864w part 2? There's 2 awnsers that say i360 but 1 says for widower,amerasion or special immigrant and the second awnser says battered spouse or child.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Form I-864W, Request for Exemption for Intending Immigrant's Affidavit of Support, is used in certain cases where the intending immigrant is not required to submit Form I-864, Affidavit of Support.

In Part 2 of Form I-864W, you need to select the reason for your exemption from the Affidavit of Support requirement. The options are:

1. I am the intending immigrant and I am inadmissible only because of my likelihood of becoming a public charge.

2. I am the intending immigrant and the widow(er) of a U.S. citizen or the child of a deceased U.S. citizen who filed Form I-360 for me.

3. I am the intending immigrant and I have been battered or subjected to extreme cruelty by a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident spouse or parent and I am filing a Form I-360 as a self-petitioning spouse or child.

4. I am the intending immigrant and I am filing a Form I-360 as an Amerasian.

5. I am the intending immigrant and I am filing a Form I-360 based on qualifying for certain classifications.

Based on your situation, select the appropriate reason for your exemption. If none of these reasons apply to you, then you likely need to submit Form I-864, Affidavit of Support, instead of Form I-864W. If you are unsure which form to use or which option to select, it is best to consult with an immigration attorney or accredited representative for guidance specific to your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.