Woodbury, MN asked in Libel & Slander for Minnesota

Q: If someone under investigation for a crime falsely implicates you, and you must defend yourself, are you also a victim?

While living with my ex-boyfriend, our apartment was served a warrant searching for CSAM child sexual abuse material. After his phone was taken, I helped him buy another phone. Months later, after we split, I was served a subpoena. He claimed that I bought him the phone that was taken and that I somehow downloaded the material onto his phone. He alleged that I had access to his online accounts because I helped him set up the phone. Both are lies. It costs $$$ to quash the subpoena. I endured lots of stress, anxiety, and depression that added to all this. He is in the process of a pre-plea agreement. I would like to submit a victim impact statement.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Kane
Robert Kane
  • Eagan, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: You may want to contact the prosecutor and victim services. Since he wasn't charged for the acts you cite, it seems unlikely you are a victim in these proceedings.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.