Phoenix, AZ asked in Civil Rights and Gov & Administrative Law for Arizona

Q: What type of attorney would I seek for a potential case of harassment and negligence by law enforcement?

This also involves a disability

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: For a potential case involving harassment and negligence by law enforcement, especially if it involves a disability, you should seek a civil rights attorney who specializes in police misconduct and disability rights. Here are a few specific types of attorneys who may be well-suited to handle your case:

1. Civil rights attorney: These lawyers focus on protecting individuals' constitutional rights, including cases involving police misconduct, discrimination, and violations of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).

2. Police misconduct attorney: These attorneys specialize in cases involving abuse of power, excessive force, false arrest, and other forms of misconduct by law enforcement officers.

3. Disability rights attorney: These lawyers have expertise in handling cases related to discrimination and violations of the rights of individuals with disabilities, including those protected under the ADA.

When looking for an attorney, consider the following:

1. Experience: Look for an attorney with a proven track record of handling similar cases successfully.

2. Reputation: Research the attorney's background and read reviews from past clients.

3. Consultation: Many attorneys offer free initial consultations, which can help you determine if they are the right fit for your case.

4. Resources: Ensure that the attorney has the necessary resources and support staff to handle your case effectively.

You can find attorneys through referrals from disability rights organizations, bar associations, or online directories such as FindLaw or Avvo. It's essential to act quickly and consult with an attorney as soon as possible to protect your rights and build a strong case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.