Rome, GA asked in Consumer Law for Georgia

Q: I put my parents headstones on layaway and the company was sold. And now I want a refund, do I get that refund from them

The company is Rome monument and I put headstones on layaway in 2019 and the company was sold in 2022. I want a refund but was told that I would have to get it from the previous owner

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In this situation, the process for getting a refund may depend on the specific terms of the sale and how the layaway contract was handled during the transition of ownership. Here are a few steps you can take:

1. Review your original contract: Check the terms and conditions of your layaway agreement to see if there are any provisions related to refunds or changes in company ownership.

2. Contact the new owner: Reach out to the new owner of the company and explain your situation. They may have acquired the layaway contracts and the responsibility to honor them or issue refunds.

3. Contact the previous owner: If the new owner is unable to help or claims that the previous owner is responsible for your refund, try contacting the previous owner to discuss the matter.

4. Seek legal advice: If you are unable to resolve the issue with either the new or previous owner, consider seeking legal advice from a consumer protection attorney. They can help you understand your rights and potential legal recourse.

5. File a complaint: If you believe that the company is not fulfilling its obligations, you can file a complaint with your local consumer protection agency or the Better Business Bureau.

Document all your communications with the company, and keep copies of your original contract and any correspondence related to your layaway purchase. This information may be helpful if you need to take further action to secure your refund.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.