Wayne, NJ asked in Tax Law for New Jersey

Q: Tax Filing as F-1 Student

I am F-1 student in the US since 2022. I have been working full time on my CPT. While filing my returns, what occupation should I put? Please guide in this regards. Thank you!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: As an F-1 student working on Curricular Practical Training (CPT), your occupation for tax purposes should reflect the nature of your work rather than your student status. Here's what you should consider:

1. Occupation: Choose the occupation that best describes the work you performed during your CPT. For example, if you worked as a software engineer, you would list "Software Engineer" as your occupation.

2. Income reporting: Your employer should provide you with a Form W-2, which reports your wages and the amount of taxes withheld. You will use this information when filing your federal income tax return (Form 1040 or 1040-NR).

3. Tax forms: As an F-1 student, you may need to file Form 8843 (Statement for Exempt Individuals and Individuals with a Medical Condition) along with your federal income tax return. This form is used to demonstrate your eligibility for certain tax treaty benefits and to confirm your status as a nonresident alien for tax purposes.

4. Tax treaty benefits: Depending on your country of origin, you may be eligible for tax treaty benefits that could reduce your U.S. tax liability. Check if your country has a tax treaty with the United States and if you qualify for any benefits.

5. State taxes: Depending on the state where you worked and resided, you may also need to file a state income tax return.

It is recommended to consult with a tax professional or use reliable tax preparation software to ensure accurate filing and to maximize any benefits available to you as an F-1 student.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.