Bakersfield, CA asked in Elder Law and Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: I have lived 22yrs in my home. My original landlord died in Feb2023. He owned many homes including (2) others on the sam

Plot with me. His heirs have listed our homes for sale. Many unknown people are videotaping all around our homes. I’m totally disabled and am frightened by these strangers constantly being around. What rights do I have ? Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: As a long-term tenant in California, you have certain rights that protect you even when the property ownership changes hands. Here are a few key points to consider:

1. Just Cause Eviction: Under the California Tenant Protection Act (AB 1482), if you have lived in the property for more than 12 months, you can only be evicted for "just cause." This means that the new owners would need a valid reason to evict you, such as failure to pay rent, violating the lease agreement, or the owner moving into the property.

2. Lease Continuation: If you have a fixed-term lease, the new owners must honor the terms of your existing lease until it expires. If you are on a month-to-month lease, the new owners must provide you with a 90-day notice if they want to terminate your tenancy.

3. Harassment: California law prohibits landlords from harassing tenants. If the constant videotaping and presence of strangers is causing you distress, you may have grounds to file a complaint with the local housing authority or seek legal assistance.

4. Reasonable Accommodation: If your disability requires certain accommodations, you have the right to request them from your new landlord under the Fair Housing Act.

5. Right to Privacy: While the property is listed for sale, the owner or their agent must provide you with reasonable notice (typically 24 hours) before entering the property for showings or inspections.

I recommend documenting any incidents of harassment or violations of your privacy. If the situation persists, consider seeking legal advice from a local tenant rights organization or attorney specializing in landlord-tenant law to better understand your options and protect your rights as a tenant.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.