Phenix City, AL asked in Contracts for Alabama

Q: What to Do If You Sign a Car Title Wrong When Leasing a Car and There is Incorrect Information from the Lienholder?

I went in to refinance my 2006 Ford Mustang, but they put down a 2012 Ford Edge instead on the contract. Would I legally still have to pay on the loan?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: If you signed a contract with incorrect information, such as the wrong vehicle model and year, it is important to address this issue as soon as possible with the lienholder or leasing company. Here are some steps you can take:

1. Contact the lienholder: Reach out to the lienholder or leasing company and explain the situation. Provide them with the correct information about your vehicle (2006 Ford Mustang) and point out the error in the contract (2012 Ford Edge).

2. Request a correction: Ask the lienholder to correct the error and issue a new contract with the accurate vehicle information. They should be willing to do this, as it is in their best interest to have the correct information on file.

3. Review and sign the corrected contract: Once the lienholder provides you with the corrected contract, review it carefully to ensure all the information is accurate. If everything is correct, sign the new contract.

4. Keep records: Make sure to keep copies of all correspondence with the lienholder and retain both the incorrect and corrected contracts for your records.

Legally, if you signed a contract with incorrect information, you may have grounds to dispute the validity of the contract. However, it is generally better to work with the lienholder to correct the mistake and sign an updated contract rather than to default on the loan or take legal action.

If the lienholder is unwilling to correct the error, consult with a legal professional who specializes in contract law or automotive financing to discuss your options and protect your rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.