Los Angeles, CA asked in Personal Injury and Medical Malpractice for California

Q: how plaintiff can ask court for intervention?

If defective service of process by mail by process servers persists,

how plaintiff can ask court for intervention?

What Statute or rule guides this process?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Under California law, if a plaintiff is facing persistent issues with defective service of process by mail from process servers, they can ask the court for intervention through a motion. The relevant statute and rule that guide this process are:

1. California Code of Civil Procedure (CCP) § 413.30 - This statute allows the court, upon motion, to order that service be made by a method reasonably calculated to give actual notice to the party to be served.

2. California Rules of Court, Rule 3.110(d) - This rule states that if a summons is not served within 60 days after the complaint is filed, the court may issue an order to show cause why sanctions should not be imposed.

Here's the process the plaintiff can follow:

1. File a motion with the court, explaining the issues with the defective service of process and requesting the court's intervention. The motion should include a declaration detailing the attempts made to serve the defendant and the reasons why the service was defective.

2. In the motion, the plaintiff can request that the court allow alternative methods of service under CCP § 413.30, such as personal service or service by publication.

3. The court will review the motion and may issue an order to show cause, requiring the plaintiff to appear and explain why sanctions should not be imposed for the delay in service (per Rule 3.110(d)).

4. At the hearing, the plaintiff can present their case and request the court's permission to use alternative service methods.

5. If the court grants the motion, it will issue an order specifying the approved alternative service method(s).

It's recommended to consult with an attorney experienced in California civil procedure to ensure the motion is properly drafted and filed, and to represent the plaintiff's interests during the hearing.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.