Picayune, MS asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for Mississippi

Q: hi im 17 but once i turn 18 do i legally have the right to buy whatever from online without consent of my parents?

and do i have legal control of my own money to buy whatever i want off of online even if the money was given to me as a gift do they have a right to take that if im 18?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Once you turn 18, you are considered an adult in most countries, including the United States. This means that you have the legal right to make your own decisions, including purchasing items online without the consent of your parents. However, there are a few important points to consider:

1. Financial independence: Even though you are legally an adult, you may still be financially dependent on your parents. If they are providing you with housing, food, or other necessities, they may have some influence over your spending habits.

2. Gift money: If money is given to you as a gift, it is considered your property, and your parents do not have the right to take it from you, even if you are living with them. However, if the money was given to you with specific conditions or intentions, it's essential to respect those wishes.

3. Fraud and illegal activities: While you can make your own purchases, you are still responsible for ensuring that your online transactions are legal. Engaging in fraudulent or illegal activities can result in criminal charges, regardless of your age.

4. Credit cards and bank accounts: If you have a credit card or bank account that your parents opened for you before you turned 18, they might have access to these accounts. It's best to open new accounts in your name only after turning 18 to ensure complete control over your finances.

In summary, once you turn 18, you have the legal right to make your own purchasing decisions and control your own money, including gift money. However, it's essential to consider your financial situation, make responsible choices, and respect any conditions attached to gifted funds.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.