Fresno, CA asked in Civil Litigation for California

Q: l won a civil forfeiture case I few years ago never got the proceeds Found Letter no check what could I do to claim

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you won a civil forfeiture case in California but never received the proceeds, here are a few steps you can take to claim the funds:

1. Review the court documents: Carefully review the court order or judgment that awarded you the proceeds from the civil forfeiture case. Make sure you understand the terms of the order and any instructions on how to claim the funds.

2. Contact the court clerk: Reach out to the clerk of the court where your case was decided. Provide them with your case number and inquire about the status of your payment. The clerk may be able to provide information on why the check was not issued or guide you on the next steps to claim your funds.

3. Contact the agency handling the forfeiture: If the court clerk is unable to assist, contact the law enforcement agency or government entity that handled the forfeiture case. They may have information on the status of your payment or the process for claiming the funds.

4. Send a written request: If you have exhausted other options, send a formal written request to the court or the agency responsible for issuing the payment. Include your case number, a copy of the court order, and the letter you received. Explain that you have not received your funds and request information on how to proceed.

5. Consider seeking legal assistance: If you are still unable to resolve the issue, consider consulting with an attorney who specializes in civil forfeiture cases. They may be able to provide guidance or assist you in taking legal action to claim your funds.

Remember to keep copies of all correspondence and documents related to your efforts to claim the funds, as this documentation may be necessary if further legal action is required.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.