Osawatomie, KS asked in Landlord - Tenant for Kansas

Q: Can the owner of a mobile home park sell a home I own? I am current on rent.

I owe one months water, which was refused when payment was attempted

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: No, the owner of a mobile home park cannot sell a home that you own, even if you owe rent or water payments. As long as you have proper ownership documentation for the mobile home itself, the park owner has no legal right to sell your property.

However, if you are behind on rent or water payments, the park owner may have the right to evict you from the park, depending on the laws in your state and the terms of your lease agreement. Eviction from the park would require you to move your mobile home.

If the park owner refused your attempt to pay the overdue water bill, I recommend the following:

1. Document your attempt to pay, including the date, method, and the park owner's refusal.

2. Review your lease agreement to understand your obligations and rights as a tenant.

3. Attempt to discuss the situation calmly with the park owner to reach a resolution.

4. If the park owner is uncooperative, consider seeking legal advice from a local tenants' rights organization or attorney familiar with mobile home park laws in your area.

Remember, while the park owner cannot sell your home, they may be able to force you to move your home out of the park if you violate the terms of your lease. It's important to understand your rights and responsibilities under your state's laws and your lease agreement.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.