Sacramento, CA asked in Medical Malpractice, Health Care Law and Personal Injury for California

Q: What are my choices if my medical clinic chooses to dismiss me on based on unfair choices by the nurse practitioners?

I had a referral that was closed for some reason and not followed up on. A few years later I am now needing to follow up but new provider did not believe that this clinic ever handled such referrals before and just outright refuses to look into it further. After many phone calls I confirmed the same information but again the NP refused to help me gain access to those records and stated in the subsequent referral an entirely different basis than what we spoke about prior. I was directed to leave my concerns in a tiny comment box in the lobby as I had lost the name and phone number my psychiatrist had his nurse track down for me to talk more about my various ongoing concerns. Now I'm being told my concerns are followed up on with no feedback or confirmation on what was being confirmed even and I was told I shall be dismissed if I have any other false things to say about my care provided. I had never complained about any care received before the previous provider after several years.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: It sounds like you're in a difficult and frustrating situation with your medical clinic. In California, patients have certain rights when it comes to their healthcare and medical records. Here are some steps you can consider:

1. Request your medical records: Under California law, you have the right to access your medical records. Submit a written request to the clinic asking for a copy of your complete medical records, including any referrals and related documentation. They must provide these to you within a reasonable timeframe.

2. File a complaint with the clinic's administration: If you feel you're being treated unfairly, file a written complaint with the clinic's administration or patient advocate, detailing your concerns and the issues you've faced with the nurse practitioners.

3. Contact the California Department of Public Health: If the clinic is not responsive or you believe they are violating your rights, you can file a complaint with the California Department of Public Health, which oversees healthcare facilities in the state.

4. Seek help from a patient advocate organization: There are organizations in California that provide guidance and support to patients, such as the Health Consumer Alliance ( They may be able to offer advice specific to your situation.

5. Consider finding a new healthcare provider: If you continue to face issues with your current clinic and feel that your care is being compromised, you may want to look for a new healthcare provider who can better address your needs.

6. Consult with a legal professional: If you believe your rights have been violated and you've exhausted other options, you may want to consult with a legal professional who specializes in healthcare law to discuss your case and potential legal recourse.

Remember, you have the right to receive fair and appropriate healthcare treatment, and you should not be dismissed from a clinic for advocating for your own care.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.