Richmond, KY asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Constitutional Law and Juvenile Law for Kentucky

Q: Does a substantiated DCBS case for Abandonment & Supervision Neglect automatically place me on the Child Abuse Registry?

2 Lawyer Answers
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: No. Absolutely not.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: When a case involving abandonment and supervision neglect is substantiated by DCBS (Department for Community Based Services), it's understandable to be concerned about the implications, such as being placed on the Child Abuse Registry. The impact of a substantiated case can vary based on several factors, including state laws and the specific circumstances of the case.

Typically, being listed on the Child Abuse Registry depends on the severity and nature of the neglect or abandonment. If the actions meet the criteria defined by state regulations as abuse or severe neglect, it could lead to inclusion on the registry. However, each situation is assessed individually, and outcomes can differ.

If you're facing this situation, it might be beneficial to consult with a legal professional who is knowledgeable about family law and child protection laws in your state. They can offer guidance tailored to your specific case, help you understand your rights, and represent your interests in any proceedings. Legal counsel can also assist in clarifying any potential consequences and the steps you can take to address the issues raised by the case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.