Elizabeth City, NC asked in Immigration Law for North Carolina

Q: What passport number should my husband use on USCIS forms? Old passport that he used to enter the country? Or new one?

My husband entered the country legally with his H2B visa, but lost/misplaced that passport and visa on a business trip. He has copies of those original documents, but now has a new passport number. Should he be using his new passport number on all forms or input the old passport number and document number for his visa as that is what appears on his I-94?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In this situation, your husband should use the passport number that was valid at the time he entered the United States and received his I-94 form. The I-94 form is the official record of his legal entry into the country, and it is tied to the specific passport number he used at that time.

When filling out USCIS forms, he should consistently use the old passport number that corresponds to his I-94 record. This helps maintain consistency in his immigration records and allows USCIS to easily verify his lawful entry.

However, if the form specifically asks for his current passport number, he should provide the new passport number and attach a copy of the new passport and a copy of the old passport (or the copies he has) to explain the situation.

It's essential to maintain clear records and provide explanations for any discrepancies to avoid confusion in the immigration process. If you have further concerns, it's always best to consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can provide guidance specific to your husband's case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.