Miami, FL asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Family Law for Florida

Q: Can a husband accuse his wife of kidnapping their daughter if she wants to leave their house with her as a separation?

The couple can't live together in the same house. Then the mother would like to go to another place with her daughter. But the husband says that what she's doing is called kidnapping. What can the mother do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Pamela J. Fero
Pamela J. Fero
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If there are no existing divorce proceedings or custody agreements, the mother must secure consent from the other parent or obtain court approval before relocating. This process can become legally intricate, particularly if the other parent opposes the move. Consult a local family law attorney to get guidance on the most appropriate course of action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.