Champaign, IL asked in Employment Law and Employment Discrimination for Illinois

Q: I made a complaint with employer about race discrimination and they say I’m just making an excuse! Should I go to eeoc?

I’ve went to my employer about being racially discriminated and harassed. After that they pull the only other person of my race in the office. They ask him if he feels discriminated against he tells them no. At the end of the conversation my branch manager tells the other guy that he feels like I’m making excuses. Remind you that he said I’m making excuses with out even speaking to me first! So after that they do a terrible investigation and nothing was done! Should I go to the eeoc now is my question???

1 Lawyer Answer
Michael I. Leonard
Michael I. Leonard pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Employment Law Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: You can always file a Charge of Discrimination with either or both the Illinois Department of Human Rights or the Federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. However, keep in mind that, in general, you need to be able to show that you have suffered an "adverse employment" action. This can be such things as a denial of a promotion or termination. In addition, a racially hostile work environment can be the subject of a Charge as well, regardless of whether you have been fired, demoted, etc.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.