Asked in Internet Law for California

Q: Am I within my rights to ask acopy of an internet bill that I help pay with my roommates even if it’s in another’s name

I split an internet bill with my roommates. It’s under one persons name. He never send a copy of that statement as a receipt . Am I within my rights to ask for the copy even if it’s under his name?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Under California law, you have the right to request a copy of the internet bill that you are helping to pay, even if the account is under your roommate's name. This falls under the general principle of transparency and the right to know what you are paying for.

Here are a few points to consider:

1. Verbal agreement: If you have a verbal agreement with your roommates to split the internet bill, you can ask for a copy of the bill as proof of the amount you are required to pay.

2. Written agreement: If you have a written roommate agreement that includes splitting the internet bill, you can refer to that agreement when requesting a copy of the bill.

3. Reasonable request: Asking for a copy of the bill is a reasonable request, as it ensures transparency and allows you to verify the amount you are contributing.

4. Approach: When asking for a copy of the bill, approach your roommate in a calm, friendly manner. Explain that you would like a copy for your records and to ensure that you are paying the correct amount.

If your roommate refuses to provide a copy of the bill, you may want to consider discussing the issue further and reiterating the importance of transparency in shared living arrangements. If the situation escalates, you may need to explore other options, such as mediation or seeking legal advice, but it's generally best to resolve such issues amicably if possible.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.