Suwanee, GA asked in Divorce and Real Estate Law for Georgia

Q: Do I have rights to real estate property after divorce decree and signing no claim if i felt under duress?

Do I have rights to real estate property after divorce decree and signing no claim if i felt under duress?

I had a divorce 3 years ago. I signed divorce settlement with no claim to marital property specifically the residence we lived in over 5 years. I signed the settlement without lawyer representation and stress from ex-spouse in attempt to quickly be done with our relationship. Can I attempt to revisit claim to the home? I wasn't not on mortgage due to credit but paid half mortgage and we owned two properties together with same setup.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Alake Colwell Furlow
Alake Colwell Furlow
  • Dacula, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: No, your case is over and the order(s) signed from that case stand, and cannot now be attacked, 3 years later. Unfortunately, when a case is going on is the time to hire an attorney to represent you and help you finalize the matter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.