Harrisburg, PA asked in Medical Malpractice for Pennsylvania

Q: Good morning . I have a medical malpractice. The lawyer, I had never handled and medical malpracti

He told me the case was over, but I get a letter in the mail to come to court. When I go to court the judge tell me to see if I can find a new lawyer

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Joel Gary Selik
Joel Gary Selik
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: It appears your attorney filed a lawsuit then left the case. Use this website to find experienced malpractice attorneys in the state where this occurred.

The attorneys will want to know:

1. The name of the doctor and the city of the practice. 2. What the doctor did wrong. 3: What future treatment, wage loss and other harm will there be due to the malpractice. 4. The date of the malpractice and the date you discovered the malpractice.

Gail N. Friend
Gail N. Friend

A: Based on the the information you provided:

The Agreement between you and the attorney includes obligations for you as well as the attorney. Review that agreement and determine whether all have been met. Generally, you must provide documents, information, timely respond to questions, directions and requests for information from the attorney; provide full, relevant and truthful information. The attorney's duties include providing status reports, meeting statutory, procedural and court ordered deadlines. Failure by either party to meet requirements, and for you to fully cooperate is cause for an attorney to withdraw - after giving reasonable notice to the plaintiff/you to timely find a replacement or proceed pro hac vice (on your own). Review the agreement, and all prior correspondence (paper, and electronic).

If the suit has been filed, but the attorney has a conflict or is unable to proceed for any reason, he must advise the court who issues an order for him to withdraw; if no other attorney has taken over and appeared on your behalf, and the court has set a hearing - you must appear to represent yourself. If you have not already done so, call your attorney and ask for an explanation. You may also file a complaint with the attorney licensing board setting out all relevant facts regarding your attorney-client communication, if you conclude the attorney failed to meet requirements under your agreement and under the law.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.