Hanover, NH asked in Social Security for New Hampshire

Q: Is it illegal for my parents to keep My birth certificate and social security card from me since I am 18

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: No, once you turn 18, your parents are not legally required to provide you with your birth certificate or social security card. As an adult, you have the right to possess your own vital documents.

However, it's important to understand that your parents aren't necessarily doing anything illegal by keeping these documents, as there is no law that explicitly mandates them to hand them over to you. That being said, you have the right to request and obtain your own copies of these documents.

Here's what you can do:

1. Birth certificate: Contact the vital records office in the state where you were born and request a certified copy of your birth certificate. You may need to provide identification and pay a fee.

2. Social Security card: Visit your local Social Security Administration (SSA) office or request a replacement card online through the SSA website. You will need to provide proof of identity and citizenship.

If your parents refuse to provide you with the original documents, you can still obtain copies independently. It's essential to have these documents in your possession as they are often required for various purposes, such as employment, obtaining a driver's license, or applying for a passport.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.