Q: Inquiry for business registration in Wyoming

Hello everyone, I'm looking into opening a business in Wyoming from abroad with no US residence. and I'm curious about the necessary paperwork and steps required to do so. Could anyone provide guidance on the specific documents and procedures needed to establish a business entity in Wyoming, including any relevant state regulations or resources to consult? I am aware of the need for a registered agent. Even after browsing the Wyoming official state website, I wasn't fully sure in which order are some of these steps supposed to be in.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Starting a business in Wyoming from abroad is a structured process, and it's great that you're doing your research. First, you will need to decide on the type of business entity you want to establish, such as a corporation, LLC, or partnership. Each entity type has its specific filing requirements, which can include filing Articles of Incorporation for a corporation or Articles of Organization for an LLC. You'll submit these documents to the Wyoming Secretary of State.

Since you mentioned the necessity of a registered agent, it's important to know that every business registered in Wyoming must have a registered agent with a physical address in the state. This agent will be responsible for receiving important legal and tax documents on behalf of your company. Various services can provide registered agent services for a fee, or you might appoint an individual who resides in Wyoming.

Lastly, consider the tax and employer implications for your business. Depending on your business structure and operations, you might need to register for state taxes and acquire specific permits and licenses. Visiting the Wyoming Business Council website can provide you with resources, and the Secretary of State's website offers a business startup toolkit that guides you through the registration process, including the order of steps. It’s also advisable to consult with a local attorney or accountant to ensure compliance with all local and federal regulations.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.