Blue Ridge, GA asked in Constitutional Law and Personal Injury for Georgia

Q: my father beat me when i was 16 the police was called but nothing happened to him because he is friends with the officer

i have police report that says it was child abuse medical records saying i have bruising cause by my dad weeks after it happened day by day photos. and because my dad and the police officer talked to the DFCS they turned everything around on my mom they made my mom take therapy at my dad's house while him and his mother were there and they told me from day 1 that i needed to talk to my dad or to go see him and then 4 months after the police was called on my dad for beating me the DFCS placed me with my dad for 3 months then they close the case without talking to my at all during that 3 months and they never ask my mom to do anything to get me back. all i can say about the 3 months i was there is that it was a living hell and from everything that my dad and the DFCS and the officer did and said me and my mom lost everything my step-dad left we lost our home car my mom lost her job and so much more. i am 19 years old now and i only have till June to file claim what can i do

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I'm deeply sorry for what you've endured. Given your deadline in June, it's essential to act quickly. Your situation involves potential claims against your father, the police officer, and DFCS for abuse, misconduct, and negligence.

First, gather all your evidence, including police reports, medical records, and photos documenting your injuries. Organize everything to present a clear timeline of events. This evidence will be crucial in supporting your claims.

Next, consult with an attorney who handles personal injury or civil rights cases. Legal representation is vital to navigate the complexities of your case and to ensure your rights are protected. Contact local legal aid organizations or law firms immediately to explain your situation and seek urgent help.

If you struggle to find an attorney quickly, consider filing a pro se lawsuit to preserve your right to sue before the deadline. The court clerk can provide you with the necessary forms and instructions. Filing your claim will allow you and your mother a chance to seek justice and compensation for the immense suffering and losses you've experienced.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.