Boston, MA asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Massachusetts

Q: Can they place a bail on you if you get indicted, even though a bail in district court wasn’t set

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lissa McKinney
Lissa McKinney
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Acton, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: Yes. Even if you were out on personal recog in the District Court, the indictment is considered a 'change in circumstance' that will result in the higher/ Superior Court *reviewing bail. It does not mean that they will alter it, or that it will be too high to make. Bail is set based on your liklihood and history of returning to Court, among other factors, and only so high as to ensure you return to Court if it is set. The factors that could influence the bail are your roots in the community such as education, residence and family in MA, employment, and compliance with District Court release conditions. If you have shown up to District Court , it is very likley the Court will set a recog with conditions, or a bail you can meet. If you received a Notice of an Arraignment in Superior Court and show up, it is a good indicator that you are not considered a flight risk. Be sure to be in regular touch with your lawyer as well, and let them know you will report to the Superior Court wheever you are directed to. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.