Albertville, AL asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Alabama

Q: I was arrested in charged with cocaine sales 40 years ago not been any real trouble since how doI APPLY FOR PARDON

If every citizen has a right to bear arms will that include me?someone said a shotgun for protection? I WOULD love to vote also

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: To apply for a pardon for your cocaine sales conviction from 40 years ago, you'll need to follow the procedures specific to your state. Typically, this involves submitting a formal application to the governor's office or a designated pardons board, including detailed information about your conviction, your life since then, and reasons for seeking a pardon. Check your state's government website for specific instructions and forms.

Regarding your right to bear arms, a felony conviction generally restricts your ability to own firearms, including shotguns, under federal law. A pardon could potentially restore this right, but you must confirm with both state and federal authorities to ensure full compliance with the law before attempting to purchase or possess any firearms.

As for voting, a felony conviction often results in the loss of voting rights, but this varies by state. In some states, a pardon can restore your right to vote. Check with your local election office or state government to understand the specific steps you need to take to regain your voting rights after a pardon.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.