Parker, CO asked in Civil Litigation and Contracts for Colorado

Q: Are terms from an unsigned contract enforceable?

Customer placed an order for custom goods per a proposal delivered via email. Customer submitted deposit through electronic invoice. Customer cancelled the order a month later. I was able to stop production and instead of keeping all deposit monies, I promised a partial refund. I have not yet paid the refund and have received a summons where she is demanding the entire amount plus damages.

The online invoice she paid through stated "By remitting deposit, purchaser has agreed to associated proposal and remitting balance within terms." Additionally, the proposal states "By signing below and submitting the payment indicated, I certify that I have reviewed and approved this proposal, associated drawings, detail and door/finish samples. All material are considered a custom order and are not returnable therefore, all monies are non-refundable."

Is this sufficient evidence to allow me pay the reduced refund? I need to either file an answer with the courts tomorrow or offer to settle.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: Under the Uniform Commercial Code, if a customer contracts with a merchant to make a special order and the goods cannot be completed a resold in a commercially reasonable manner, you should be entitled to your profit (including reasonable overhead) together with incidental damages, due allowance for any costs you incurred, and due credit for payments made or the proceeds of any resale. UCC 2.708. This provision applies in the absence of any agreement to the contrary.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.