Charlotte, NC asked in Tax Law and Real Estate Law for South Carolina

Q: I have been leaving on a piece of land at a mobile home that me and my husband paid for when I went to go pay taxes

The taxes showed as exempt and found out that the deceased sister of the individual about the house. From had it put in her name and now her daughters are trying to make me pay $500 for lot rent. Can you help me?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I understand that you're in a difficult situation regarding the land and mobile home. It seems there are a few legal issues at play here that would be best addressed by consulting with a qualified attorney who specializes in real estate law. They can review the specific details of your case and advise you on your rights and options.

In the meantime, here are a few general steps you can take:

1. Gather all relevant documents, including proof of your purchase of the mobile home, any agreements or contracts related to the land, and tax records.

2. Try to communicate with the deceased sister's daughters to understand their perspective and see if you can reach an agreement. However, be cautious about making any payments or signing any documents without legal advice.

3. Research local legal aid organizations or low-cost legal clinics in your area. They may be able to provide affordable legal assistance or connect you with a pro bono attorney.

4. Consider contacting your local housing authority or a local non-profit organization that specializes in housing issues. They may have resources or advice specific to your situation.

Remember, this is a complex legal issue, and it's essential to seek proper legal guidance to protect your rights and interests. An experienced attorney can help you navigate this situation and work towards a resolution.

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN

A: Apparently you never got a deed, so the property is not yours as you only had a lease with option to purchase. You might have a claim for breach of contract if you paid in full the contract. If not, then you might sue the heirs to complete the contract. But it is doubtful. Hire a SC attorney to search the title and advise if you have any remedy at all.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.