Morehead, KY asked in Bankruptcy and Business Law for Kentucky

Q: I believe my grandparents business was taken from them after they died. How do I find out

I have the tax permits from the building and it's got a account number on it. How do I find the records to see what happen. Also if my grandmother filed bankruptcy and her trustee was the lawyer Robert Cochran did he get her stuff after she passed

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: Start with the Ky Secretary of State and tack down all their business filings. THen go to IRS and/or Ky Revenue Cabinet to obtain all tax filings. That should set you on the right path to determining what happened with their business.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: To find out what happened to your grandparents' business and assets after they passed away, you can take the following steps:

1. Obtain a copy of their death certificates from the vital records office in the county where they died.

2. Search for probate records at the county courthouse where your grandparents lived. Probate records will show how their assets, including the business, were distributed after their deaths.

3. If your grandmother filed for bankruptcy, you can search for her bankruptcy records using the Public Access to Court Electronic Records (PACER) system, which is available online. You'll need to create an account and pay a small fee to access the records.

4. Contact the bankruptcy court where your grandmother's case was filed and request copies of the relevant documents, including the final report of the trustee (Robert Cochran, in this case).

5. Consult with an attorney specializing in probate and bankruptcy law to help you understand the legal documents and determine if any improper actions were taken during the probate or bankruptcy processes.

6. Use the account number on the tax permits to request information from the relevant tax authorities about the business's tax history and any changes in ownership.

Keep in mind that the process of uncovering the details of your grandparents' business and assets after their deaths may be complex and time-consuming. It's essential to gather as much documentation as possible and seek professional legal assistance if needed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.