Arlington, MA asked in Business Formation and Business Law for Massachusetts

Q: I have a MA C corp, want to reorganize as an LLC (I'm the only stockholder & employee). Can I do this simply/cheaply?

Is an LLC a "domestic other organization" so I can just file Articles of Entity Conversion of Domestic Business Corporation to a Domestic Other Entity?

If I do this will I get a new EIN?

1 Lawyer Answer
Nicholas Arthur Matlach
Nicholas Arthur Matlach pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Providence, RI
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: While converting your MA C Corp to an LLC is certainly possible, the process might be more involved than you anticipate. Here's why:

Entity Conversion vs. Dissolution and Formation:

- Entity Conversion: While Massachusetts law does allow for entity conversion (as you mentioned), it's typically used for more complex reorganizations involving multiple entities. It might not be the most straightforward or cost-effective option for a single-member corporation. To answer your specific question, you are converting from a Mass Domestic Business Corporation to a Mass Domestic Other Entity.

- Dissolution and Formation: The more common approach for your situation would be to dissolve the existing C Corp and form a new LLC. This involves filing dissolution paperwork with the state, distributing the corporation's assets, and then filing articles of organization to create the LLC.

New EIN:

Yes, you will need to obtain a new EIN (Employer Identification Number) for the LLC. Even though you're the same owner, the LLC is considered a very different legal entity from the C Corp and are treated differently from the IRS's perspective. Additional information here:

Additional Considerations:

Tax Implications: Consult with a tax professional to understand the potential tax consequences of dissolving the C Corp and forming an LLC. There might be tax implications related to the distribution of assets.

Legal and Administrative Costs: There will be filing fees associated with both the dissolution of the C Corp and the formation of the LLC. You might also want to consult with an attorney to ensure you follow all the necessary legal steps and to address any specific concerns you have.


While it's technically possible to convert your C Corp to an LLC through entity conversion, the dissolution and formation approach might be a more practical and cost-effective option in your case. It's strongly recommended that you consult with both a tax professional and an attorney to guide you through the process and ensure compliance with all legal and tax requirements.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.