Parkland, FL asked in Contracts and Real Estate Law for Puerto Rico

Q: When can a seller sue the buyer for not following thru on contract?

we are a week away from closing. Bank is ready, all docs prepared and attorney fees paid, etc...

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rafael  Pagan-Colon
Rafael Pagan-Colon
  • San Juan, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: I'm assuming that an options contract was subscribed by all parties. As a rule, the buyer has the entire option term to execute his/her/its option to purchase the real estate. If he/she/it does not execute the option within the term, the seller has the right to retain the options deposit that was delivered upon signing the options contract, and is free to market again the real estate for sale. The most common penalty against a buyer for not going through with the purchase is the loss of the options. The buyer still retains the real estate and can sell it forward to another buyer. If the deposit does not covered legal fees and other expenses incurred by the buyer, you could sue the purchaser to recoup the defficiency.

Another possible scenario where a seller could sue the buyer for not following through with the option would go along the lines of the seller having lost specific alternate sale(s) due to the existence of the options contract. Under this scenario, the seller would need to prove specific monetary loss to go against the buyer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.