McEwen, TN asked in Personal Injury and Car Accidents for Tennessee

Q: I'm being sued for supposedly hitting a vehicle door when backing out. What do I do?

No police report filed. No damage to my car. Gentleman claims I injured him by striking his door and it hitting his back. Now he has pain and suffering and lost wages.

2 Lawyer Answers
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: If you have insurance, notify them today of the wreck and claim. If no insurance, expect to lose your TNDL, and hire an attorney to represent you. When served, you might also file a Notice of Exempt Property if you are not rich, which should curtail the plaintiff's enthusiasm. An Answer will be required if in Circuit Court, not Sessions. Either way, prepare for trial. Witnesses would help.

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: If it's still available (difficult to say after three weeks - the time of your original post), you could try to obtain and review video surveillance footage (or your insurance carrier could), if you are confident that you did not hit the door of the other vehicle. As my colleague mentions, promptly notifying your insurance is a first step, so that they may be able to anticipate a bodily injury claim. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.