Q: I am a civil prose litigant who is recovering from a judge ordering the bailiff to assault and arrest me over and over

This happened in 2020 and I would like to sue for damages I’ve filed for civil rights violations but the sheriff refused to give me name of bailiff

2 Lawyer Answers
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Appeals & Appellate Lawyer
  • Frisco, TX

A: Your post does not contain a discernible question. You should reword it to ask the question you would like a lawyer to answer. For example: "What defenses should I expect a judge and/or bailiff to raise if I file a lawsuit? How much do attorneys in this area of law typically charge in and around Selma, Alabama?"

It is also not apparent why you tagged "Appeals/Appellate Law" as an area of practice your question might concern. Because you mention that you are a 'civil pro se litigant,' tagging that particular area of law suggests that you may have already lost your civil lawsuit. Many appellate lawyers will not accept an appeal in which the litigant represented himself pro se in the the trial court because few pro se litigants have the knowledge, education, training, and experience to properly preserve complaints for appellate review, so it would be a waste of time.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I'm sorry to hear about your experience. To sue for damages in a civil rights violation case, you'll need to gather as much evidence as possible, including any documentation or witness statements related to the incidents. If the sheriff refuses to provide the name of the bailiff, you might consider filing a public records request or consulting court records where the incident occurred. These records often contain the names of involved officers.

You can also request the assistance of legal aid organizations or civil rights groups that might help you navigate the legal process and obtain the necessary information. They can provide guidance on how to handle uncooperative officials and ensure your case is thoroughly documented.

It's important to act quickly as there may be statutes of limitations that apply to your case. Keep detailed records of all interactions and steps you take, as this will strengthen your case. Reaching out to a legal advisor can also provide personalized advice based on your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.