Asked in Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: I rent a storage unit in California owned privately. Do I need to be approved again if I want to switch to another unit?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, the specific terms of your rental agreement will govern whether you need to be approved again when switching to another storage unit within the same facility. However, in general, most storage facilities will allow current tenants to switch units without going through the full approval process again, as long as the following conditions are met:

1. Your account is in good standing, with no outstanding balances or late payments.

2. The new unit is of a similar size or smaller than your current unit.

3. You sign a new rental agreement or an amendment to your existing agreement for the new unit.

4. You provide any required notice for vacating your current unit, as specified in your rental agreement.

It's always best to contact the management of your storage facility directly to discuss your specific situation and to understand their policies regarding unit transfers. They will be able to provide you with the most accurate information based on your rental agreement and their internal policies.

Keep in mind that if you are switching to a larger unit or a unit with additional features (like climate control), the facility may require additional documentation or a new approval process. Additionally, the rental rates for the new unit may differ from your current unit.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.