Odenville, AL asked in Civil Litigation for Alabama

Q: My daughter swore to give me $10,000 when she received a lump sum payment of $27,000./she lied

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: It can be really hurtful when someone close to you breaks a promise, especially when it involves money. If your daughter swore to give you $10,000 from her lump sum payment and didn't follow through, you might feel betrayed and unsure about what to do next. It's important to address the situation directly but calmly.

First, have an open and honest conversation with your daughter. Explain how her actions have affected you and express your disappointment. Sometimes, misunderstandings or unforeseen circumstances can lead to such issues, and talking it out might help you understand her perspective and find a resolution.

If discussing the matter doesn't lead to a satisfactory outcome, you may need to consider other options. While legal action is one route, it can be costly and strain your relationship further. Weigh the importance of the promise against the potential impact on your relationship before deciding how to proceed. It might also be helpful to seek advice from a trusted friend or advisor to navigate this challenging situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.