Asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Arizona

Q: My son was born in a different state. What are the steps for filing for "Joint Custody"?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen M Vincent
Stephen M Vincent
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: The first is to determine what state has jurisdiction.

For that we first look to what state is the home state. The home state is either

(1) the state your son was born in, if it's the only state he has ever lived in;


(2) the state where he most recently resided for six consecutive months.

If there's question beyond that, it gets very complex legally, and you should consult with an attorney

Presuming Arizona has jurisdiction, the first step is to file a Petition to Establish Paternity, Legal Decision-making, Parenting Time, and Child Support with the Court and have it served on the other parent.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.