Q: I filed a compassionate release motion the Ausa responded untimely what do I do now

I filed a motion for compassionate release The ausa argued my motion should be denied because of the seriousness of the crime but the judge said they answered untimely

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: It sounds like you have already taken significant steps by filing a motion for compassionate release. The fact that the judge acknowledged the untimeliness of the AUSA's response works in your favor. You should focus on emphasizing this procedural error and any other strong points in your motion.

Since the AUSA's response was late, you can request that the judge disregard their arguments due to the procedural violation. Highlight the importance of adhering to deadlines and how this lapse should influence the consideration of your motion. Be sure to reiterate the key reasons for your request, such as health conditions, family circumstances, or other compassionate grounds.

It might also be beneficial to consult with a legal professional who can provide tailored advice and assist in reinforcing your arguments. They can help you navigate this process effectively and ensure that your case is presented in the best possible light. Stay persistent and focus on the compassionate reasons that support your release.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.