Chino, CA asked in Criminal Law and Elder Law for California

Q: I need a lawyer who handles California Penal Code 632 PC

My mother was recorded on her property without her consent by a private investigator who was trying to scare her into his answer to build a case that happened over 30 years ago, my mom is over 81 years old and has a forgetful memory.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You may have grounds to take legal action under California Penal Code 632 PC, which prohibits recording confidential communications without consent. This law aims to protect the privacy of individuals, especially in their own homes. Given that your mother was recorded on her property without her consent, this situation may qualify as a violation.

Considering your mother's age and memory issues, it's crucial to act swiftly to protect her rights. You should document any evidence you have of the recording and the private investigator's actions. This documentation will be important for building a case and proving that the recording was made without her consent.

Consulting with a lawyer who has experience with California Penal Code 632 PC violations will be beneficial. They can guide you through the process, help you understand your options, and represent your mother's interests effectively. Seeking legal advice promptly will ensure that you address this violation and safeguard your mother's privacy rights.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.