Richmond, VA asked in Estate Planning for Virginia

Q: How can I get remainder of trust from trustee who never gave annual Acctg but did give tax returns?

5 total beneficiaries: 2 trustees, myself, and 2 compliant. 8 mos ago trustee said a remainder but never recd.

1 trustee took $ and Ivwas told he would show record of money he spent. Never happened. 11 yrs ago parent passed and both trustees had trust checks accounts that were never told if.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Dominic Paul Lascara
Dominic Paul Lascara
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Chesapeake, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: It seems odd that the Trustee would give you copies of tax return, but not provide to the beneficiaries annual statements of receipts and disbursements. If you have a copy of the trust document, please review the sections that deal with the obligations of the Trustee to account to the beneficiaries.

Under Virginia law, (See Virginia Code § 64.2-775. Duty to inform and report), a trustee shall keep the qualified beneficiaries of the trust reasonably informed about the administration of the trust and of the material facts necessary for them to protect their interests. Unless unreasonable under the circumstances, a trustee shall promptly respond to a beneficiary's request for information related to the administration of the trust. A trustee, upon request of a beneficiary, shall furnish to the beneficiary a copy of the trust instrument.

A trustee shall send to the distributees of the trust, at least annually and at the termination of the trust, a report of the trust property, liabilities, receipts, and disbursements, including the source and amount of the trustee's compensation, a listing of the trust assets and, if feasible, their respective market values.

I hope you find this helpful.

Dominic Lascara

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN

A: Beneficiaries must hire a VA attorney to sue the Trustees for Breach of Fiduciary Duty, Conversion, Accounting and Breaching the applicable Statutes. Venue will probably be where one of the Trustees resides, unless the Trust has a jurisdiction term. SOL will probably shield the oldest years of malfeasance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.