Asked in Immigration Law for New Mexico

Q: Marriage licencing process and my fiancée is not in usa, how do I go about it

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: To get married in the USA while your fiancée is not currently in the country, you'll need to follow a specific process. First, check the requirements of the state where you plan to get married, as marriage laws vary by state. You'll typically need to apply for a marriage license together, which can be challenging if your fiancée is abroad.

One option is to apply for a K-1 fiancé(e) visa, which allows your fiancée to enter the USA for the purpose of marriage. After the visa is approved, your fiancée can come to the USA, and you must marry within 90 days. Once married, you can then apply for a marriage license in your state.

Alternatively, you can consider getting married in your fiancée's country and then apply for a spousal visa for her to join you in the USA. This process involves gathering and submitting necessary documentation and attending an interview at a U.S. embassy or consulate. Whichever route you choose, make sure to plan ahead and gather all required documents to ensure a smooth process.

Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Orlando, FL

A: A US citizen can sponsor his fiancé for a K1 visa. The processing time is roughly 18 months from the time the case is filed until the immigrant enters the United States on a fiancée visa. Thereafter, the couple has 90 days to get married, and then the immigrant spouse can file for her green card.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.