Saint Paul, MN asked in Criminal Law and Landlord - Tenant for Minnesota

Q: Civil case. why is multiple attorneys refuse to handle my legitimate case? $payment yes to be given?

Very strange a group home house owner stolen $10,000.00 my property only because I reasoned to move forward yes exit premises yes the move was legal yet he offered a different property (residence) no diffilculty in haveing rent payments made, legit!

2 Lawyer Answers
Robert Kane
Robert Kane
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Eagan, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: The amount of ten thousand dollars would be appropriate for concilliation court.

A: Given the small amount of money involved, it would not likely be worth the administrative overhead of setting up the file even if you were paying the attorney on an hourly fee basis. And it's way too small for a contingency fee. Most very small cases like this (under $15,000) can be efficiently and effectively handled in Conciliation Court (which is Minnesota's version of a small claims court) without an attorney.

If you are unfamiliar with the concept, think Judge Judy or Judge Wapner of "The People's Court" on TV. Television rarely accurately portrays legal proceedings, but these shows are actually pretty close to what a small claims court is like in real life.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.