Dallas, TX asked in Estate Planning, Family Law and Probate for Oklahoma

Q: My father passed away in 2020. My stepmother remained in his house per his wishes.

It was a verbal agreement that she would remain in the home until she passed, or no longer wanted to live there. I recently discovered that she transferred ownership of the property to her son? Can I take this to probate court or has to too much time passed?

2 Lawyer Answers
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN

A: Hire an OK attorney now that handles real property litigation. You and the other heirs need to file an Ejectment, Trespass, Quiet Title, etc. action immediately. Also check the title prior to filing suit. Hopefully Probate will not be required for the heirs to have standing (I am not licensed in OK), but if it is, then the administrator is the plaintiff.

Timothy Carignan
Timothy Carignan
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Norman, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: Normally, any transaction involving real property needs to be in writing. If there is anything, even in a letter, to indicate that this was your father’s desire for you to ultimately become owner of the property, it would help your case. If it passed completely to your stepmother, the she would be able to dispose of it as she wished. It would be best to present all your evidence to a lawyer to determine what your rights are in this case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.