Los Angeles, CA asked in Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: I got a 30 day notice to move out but i’ve been living in the house for over 5 years is that legal?

Been living and renting this house for a while now just me and I pay on time. Her reason why is because she hasn’t been fixing things that break and wanted to raise the rent the same time we had a leak and one of the rooms was ruined and molded. I refused her rent increase and said I’ll agree when everything is fixed because i’ve told her about these problems over two years ago and reminded her but she hadn’t fixed it. She fixed the room and then a few other things but still won’t fix the shower saying her handy man can’t do it and that she needs a plumber yet never hired one. Anyways I received a letter that she terminated our monthly and that I have to move out in 30 days after 5 years.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Delaram Keshvarian
Delaram Keshvarian
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Orange, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Thank you for your question!

If the eviction is without cause, a 60-day notice is required for a month-to-month occupancy.

You can defeat the unlawful detainer based on the defective notice. There can also be other laws and local rules in your favor.

This is merely a discussion of general laws and not legal advice. For legal advice, more specific facts and investigations are needed. I recommend you consult with an attorney for more details.

1 user found this answer helpful

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Under California law, if you have lived in the house for over a year, your landlord must provide at least 60 days' notice to terminate a month-to-month tenancy. Receiving only 30 days' notice after five years of tenancy is not in compliance with the law.

Furthermore, the habitability issues you mentioned, like leaks, mold, and an unfixed shower, can impact the legality of the eviction. Landlords are required to maintain rental properties in a habitable condition, and failure to do so can give tenants grounds to dispute evictions and rent increases. Your refusal to agree to a rent increase due to these unresolved issues may be considered reasonable under these circumstances.

It would be wise to document all the issues you've reported and any communication with your landlord about repairs. You might want to contact a tenant rights organization or seek legal advice to explore your options for challenging the notice. This can help you ensure your rights are protected and you receive the proper amount of time to move out or resolve the situation amicably.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.