Springville, UT asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Civil Rights and Juvenile Law for Utah

Q: My friend's parents have already had DCFS take their children from them once. Can they turn off their kids mobile data?

They got the kids back and they've been told by DCFS that they can't take away their kids doors.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I understand you're asking about a sensitive situation involving your friend's family and DCFS (Division of Child and Family Services). To address your specific question:

Parents generally have the right to control their children's access to technology, including mobile data. However, in cases where DCFS is involved, there may be special considerations or restrictions placed on the parents.

Given that:

1. The children were previously removed from the home

2. DCFS has given specific instructions about not removing doors

It's possible that there are other guidelines or restrictions in place that aren't mentioned here. The parents should be very careful about making any changes to the children's living situation or access to communication without first consulting with their case worker or legal representative.

The best course of action would be for your friend's parents to:

1. Review any documentation or agreements they have with DCFS

2. Consult directly with their assigned DCFS caseworker

3. Speak with their lawyer, if they have one, about what actions they're allowed to take

It's crucial that they follow all guidelines set by DCFS to avoid any potential issues that could jeopardize their custody situation. If they have concerns about their children's mobile data usage, they should discuss those concerns with DCFS to find an appropriate solution that doesn't violate any agreements or put their custody at risk.

Remember, the primary goal of DCFS is to ensure the safety and well-being of children. Any actions taken by the parents should align with this goal.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.