Chattanooga, TN asked in Real Estate Law and Identity Theft for Alabama

Q: What can I do if someone forged my signature to steal land in Alabama?

1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: You fail to state enough facts to give any type of decent answer. But I am assuming someone forged your signature, in front of a notary, on a deed from you conveying your interest, then recording it. Hire an AL attorney in that County to sue: the grantee for ejectment, quiet title, etc.; the forger for fraud, conversion,

quiet title; and the notary for breach of duty, fraud (with a notification to his bond surety). You will need witnesses as to your whereabouts on the day of alleged execution and tax payments, and a Notice Lis Pendens will need to be filed. You may need to prove title in yourself, which is often extremely difficult.

I hope that you had a good, lawyer drafted deed going into you (proper legal description; derivation of title clauses; all statutory requirements met; etc.), as you will now have to stand behind it. Expect grantee to cross sue the forger for breach of warranties, fraud, etc.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.