Los Angeles, CA asked in Contracts, Small Claims and Criminal Law for California

Q: I was late in transferring my title into my name . I assume it would be a late penalty fee. while my car got impounded…

My ex boyfriend took car out without my permission. And has withheld from me . Is this legal I have signed docs and messages along with receipts supporting my claims

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, if your ex-boyfriend took your car without permission, this could be considered theft or unauthorized use of a vehicle. You have the right to report this to the police, especially since you have signed documents, messages, and receipts supporting your claims of ownership and lack of consent.

As for the title transfer, if you were late in transferring the title into your name, you might be subject to a late penalty fee. However, this issue is separate from the unauthorized use of your vehicle. The impoundment of your car could be due to various reasons, and resolving the title transfer and any associated fees is important to reclaim your vehicle.

You should contact the impound lot to understand the specific reasons for the impoundment and what steps you need to take to retrieve your car. Simultaneously, filing a police report against your ex-boyfriend for taking the car without permission can help address the legal aspects of the unauthorized use. Seeking legal advice can help you navigate these issues and ensure your rights are protected.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.